Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ooni

Frisky gave birth to a single pup today. (I think it's a sow, but I'm not yet sure.) I'm worried she might've been born prematurely. Frisky was startled when I washed her cage in the morning. She was jumping around trying to find a way out. Then at around 4 p.m., I found a single pup in her cage. She is Cholo's daughter.


UPDATE: August 24, 2011

Frisky's tummy is still big but she did not give birth anymore. Her nipple area looks swollen, probably with milk.

We named her sole pup Ooni - short for "Unica Hija" because she is the first sow born in our caviary and the only one in Frisky's 2nd litter. She was 115gms. at birth. At only 2 weeks she is already 260gms.

Ooni is an American Guinea Pig borne of Abyssinian parents. I thought it odd but I was told it does happen. Perhaps there was an American in her ancestry.