Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Snowbelle and Mocha

I decided to buy a Peruvian guinea pig after I saw one in Tiendesitas. I did not like them at first because pictures on the internet always showed them with long flowing hair that made them look like wigs. But when they are trimmed and looking at you, they are simply adorable!


As with our first pair of cavies, I searched for Peruvians at Sulit.com.ph. Most sellers sell the female only with a male. And they were considerably more expensive than a boar. So when I found the ad for Snowbelle, the white one,(loved her picture though blurred as it was) and saw that she was cheaper than what others were selling, I decided to take a look at her though the seller was from Calamba, Laguna. The ad was for a pair. But the seller was not particular about selling a female with a male though he did offer a discount if you buy them both. My husband had a high school reunion there the same time I was contemplating to buy her. So I asked him to take a look for me and buy her if he thought she was "pretty" in person. He liked her and the partner she was being sold with. But he was riding a motorcycle and the seller did not think it wise for him to transport cavies on a motor bike for a long distance trip. So he came home empty handed. I was disappointed to say the least. So my husband offered to go back the next day and buy her for me as my Christmas gift! That made my day. :)


When I saw Mocha, I was not impressed. But upon checking their gender and discovering that she was a sow and not a boar as advertised, I jumped at the opportunity to buy her at a low price. Now, whenever people see our cavies, they immediately say Mocha is the 'prettier' one. I think it's because she's a roan and most people like the combination of colors. I still love Snowbelle the most though.

UPDATE: July 21, 2011

When Snowbelle and Mocha turned 7 months old, I put them into breeding. It's been a month and I am anxiously hoping that they are pregnant. Today I checked their weight and inspected their bellies. Snowbelle seem to have a hard buldge on one side of her belly. Cross my fingers! Mocha does not appear to have any signs of pregnancy. She even actually lost some weight! Sigh... I am worried. If it takes Peruvians longer to conceive, I'm afraid they might go beyond the prescribed age for them to have babies. Please! please! get pregnant soon!