Thursday, September 22, 2011

When to Breed?

Today I felt a bump and heartbeat in Scarlet's tummy. I had hoped and suspected she was pregnant and should be about to give birth at the end of September or early October. I'm praying her pups are healthy and alive when they are born. I say this because I bred Scarlet earlier than what some breeders recommend. I was so dismayed that Snowbelle and Mocha did not get pregnant (still not pregnant now) when I put them into breeding at around 6-7 months old, so I decided to breed Scarlet at around 3-4 months old. I am worried though about what some breeders say about early breeding - that the sow is too young and might not know what to do, that her pups might not be as big or healthy as pups born to older sows. Well... I'll know after she gives birth.

I did not have that problem with Frisky though. I also bred her before she was 6 months old. And her pups were all healthy and grew bigger than their parents at their age. If all goes well with Scarlet, I think I will continue to breed my cavies at around 4 months old. I would rather they have babies early than have none at all. I am so concerned that Snowbelle and Mocha will pass that age when they can conceive. They are already 10 months old and still not pregnant! (I know this because just today, I saw Snowbelle in heat and Mocha has yet to gain weight.) This is only my opinion and based on my experience. I know there are those who would insist on breeding later. To that I say... to each his own. Peace!